The Best 55 Gallon Fish Tanks – What Choice Is For You?
If you want to enjoy a multitude of fish species at home or in the office, an aquarium is a must to offer your fish pet a habitat. Though there are a variety of sizes of the fish tank, the best 55 gallon fish tanks are the most popular.
You need to consider many elements from the size of where you will put the tank to how much money you want to spend for this decor, for example. And to help you have a clear look for each product, I listed their specific information as well as the real experiences of users below.
How to choose right aquarium stand for the best 55 gallon fish tanks?
The best 55 gallon fish tanks are considered as a worthy investment reflecting a part of your life, interest, fascination, and color. And the stand has responsibility for keeping that model safe. Thus, it’s very important to consider several elements before making the last decision. Actually, for this part, you can do it by yourself at home by following this video:
The size of the tank
Before anything else, you need to determine what furniture you will put into the inside of the tank. For instance, how many fishes, plants and other accessories are in the list? This lets you know the size you need to bear everything you prepared in advance.
You also have to know the number of gallons you have and the volume of water to pick up a suitable stand kind. If you have 55 gallon aquarium but you merely invest in a 30 gallon tank that can end up a danger.
The material of the tank
If your choice is a glass 55 gallon aquarium, you should set up it on a stand which comes with an edge support. Meanwhile, if you select acrylic material, the stand you have must support the whole bottom of the tank.
Location and design style
For this consideration, you need to calculate how many weight your 55 gallon tank is after putting everything essential into there from fishes, water, to accessories. Normally, it’s about 550 pounds. Make sure where you place this model can bear its total weight. I don’t highly recommend you put a too heavy tank in the center of a room since it can cause floor sag. Rather than, it’s better to set up it in a support beam.
Also, where will you put the tank: in your house or at the office? Which style of your room is? And how large it is? All these questions can influence the design you choose.
Types of stands
On the market, there are a variety of stand kinds. Some of them are made from metal and wood material while others are combinations.
The metal stands, most popularly, are used even this option is cheaper than the wood tanks. Usually, the metal stands are combined with the glass aquariums because they support the model’s edges. Just ensure that the metal can resist corrosion. If not, your tank will end up a rusted condition. The only drawback of this material is to lack storage which you have if choose a wood model.
In case your aquarium comes with a canister filter or a sump under the tank, you ought to pick up a stand having the cabinet in order to hide these things.
Meanwhile, the wood stands are only choice and an ideal model for the acrylic tank. It usually comes with a drawer or cabinet to store the accessories and filters of your aquarium. There are several kinds of woods. However, no matter what kind you choose, ensure that it has the ability to resist moisture and coat power as long as your model takes occasional water, not cause damages.
The design of the stand
When it comes to the design of the stand, there are 2 types: the open and closed stands.
Usually, the open stand is made from the light material so it just can provide a little support. If your aquarium is small and lightweight about 40 gallons and less, this is an ideal choice. The closed stand (fish tank cabinet) is constructed by the heavy and strong wood, suiting the biggest tanks since it can provide the ultimate stability.
Normally, the metal stand is cheaper than the wood one. Although this is an expensive accessory, it’s a worthy investment for your acrylic tank. You shouldn’t buy a cheap stand because its task is very important, resisting water and keeping your aquarium safe in place. If not, that means you are putting it in a risk of a possible accidental fall.
Top 7 best 55 gallon fish tanks
1. SeaClear 50 gal Acrylic Aquarium Combo Set
- Combo includes aquarium, reflector and electrical 24" light fixture
- Acrylic aquariums are clearer than glass, 17 times stronger, and only half the weight!
- More impact resistant and less prone to chipping or cracking than glass, making it safer around children and pets
- Safe for Salt or Freshwater
- You won't believe how your fish and decorations will pop when viewing this beautiful SeaClear aquarium
The combination of SeaClear 50 gal Acrylic Aquarium Combo Set and fishes with decorations inside provides you a beautiful view. You should put it in your workplace to create the great technological life and maximize the working efficiency.
This is a new trend and an ideal kit as well. Compared to glass, the acrylic aquarium is cleaner and 17 times stronger but still maintains a half of the weight.
Apart from the clear setting and lightweight features, it is designed with the break-proof ability which is the outstanding feature – the favorite advantage of the majority of the seasoned aquarists. That means it can resist the impact of the exterior elements. If you have kids and pets around the area where you put the aquarium, this is a perfect option to keep your loved one away from dangers.
The finest acrylic material creates the prevention of leaks and breakage so it’s not easy to be chipping and cracking like what happens with glass material.
This is a combo. Rather than only an aquarium, there are other essential integral accessories for fish-keeping in the package such as reflector and electrical 24” light fixture.
Moreover, depending on your preference and need, you can pick up one of 3 standard models: tall, show, regular and one of 2 colors: cobalt blue and hues-black. Because this aquarium is installed a great pre-plumbed wet or dry filtration system, depending on each specific need, you are allowed to custom modification.
Whether your choice is freshwater or saltwater, the SeaClear 50 gal Acrylic Aquarium Combo Set is also a suitable choice.
- Buy with an affordable price
- Has a straightforward and simple design and functionality
- Grow both fishes and plants inside
- Hold the temperature better
- The rigid rectangular design
- Hard to access inside because of small size of the top cover
- In spite of the outstanding functionalities, it isn’t self-sustaining. That’s the reasons which you need to clean frequently.
- A few fluorescent lights available in the package don’t have enough sufficient light to grow corals and algae. The solution is to invest in extra LEDs.
2. Clear-For-Life UniQuarium 55 gallon hexagon fish tank
- Dimensions - 29"(L)x25"(W)x24"(H)
- Built-In Filtration - Ready-To-Run
- Black Back Panel - Round Front Corners
- Made in the USA
- Limited Lifetime Warranty Against Leakage
Compared to other options, the dimensions of the Clear-For-Life are 29” in length x 25” wide x 24” high which create the distinct overall profile.
Thanks to the special design, you can place the tank up against the wall or put in the center of the room. Due to the hexagonal shape, no matter which angle you look at fishes inside from, this aquarium can provide a clear and unique look.
Moreover, the acrylic construction makes sure a high level of safety for your children and pets. Meanwhile, compared to glass, its chemical makeup gives users the different thermal benefits. The acrylic functions as an effective insulator, keeping heat longer, lessening the wear on the heater as well as minimizing the total cost of energy which is used for the tank to work.
This product is not a combo or set. There is only a tank with a hood in the package so you can choose your own components.
When it comes to setup, you have countless choices. For example, you can combine the tank with an appropriate pump and filter.
Furthermore, whether you use saltwater or freshwater, it can support all even you are allowed to grow reef inside and planted designs.
For the hood, what you need to do is only to pick up your favorite lighting after that installing it inside the hood. Remember to run the wiring through the interior as long as it can come to the holes in the back of the hood.
To have every confidence in customers, the manufacturer provides a lifetime warranty for leakage.
Another good news for anyone who is hesitating is that this model is made in the USA where is prestigious with the top products.
- Easy to see fishes from any angles
- Safe for kids and pets
- Come with a lifetime warranty
- Due to a new product, it hasn’t been experienced by a lot of people
- It doesn’t come with a stand and lights so you have to choose and buy other components
3. SeaClear 50 gal System II Acrylic Aquarium
- SeaClear System ll Acrylic Aquarium offers a true wet/dry biological filtration system built into the back of the aquarium
- Filter includes chambers that accommodate biological, mechanical and chemical filter media as well as space for a heater and the optional System II Protein Skimmer (sold separately)
- Full Hood with 24" fluorescent fixture (light bulb not included); Efficient and economical to run
- Acrylic Aquariums are 17 times stronger than glass and weighs half as much as a Glass Aquarium
- Quick change prefilter makes cleaning simple; Air-injected nozzle
The manufacturer gives their customers several choices from color (cobalt blue and black) to the water environment (freshwater and saltwater).
There are available a wet or dry biological, mechanical, chemical filtration system built into the rear of the aquarium so it’s very easy to set up even you can do that in the box. Although you need to balance albeit nitrate levels in advance, after completing the setup, it’s ready to use the filtration system with the 350gph submersible pump.
Besides, it is also designed enough space for an optional SeaClear Protein Skimmer and a heater.
In the package, there is available a full black hood with 24” fluorescent fixture (you just need to buy extra light bulb), air-injected nozzle.
Due to the acrylic material, the visibility of the tank is about 4% clearer than the glass material. Even it is 17 times stronger and insulates 20% better.
Cleaning task takes less your time and effort on your end thanks to the support of the quick change pre-filter
To take the trust of the customers, the manufacturer provides them a lifetime warranty in anticipation of breaking and leaking.
- Has 4 adjustable skimmer gates to stop fishes to enter the filler
- Safe for your kids and pets
- Come with a simple instruction booklet
- Has customer service. However, when connecting, sometimes, there aren’t response
4. SCA 50 Gallon Starfire Glass Aquariums Complete Package
- Starfire rimless Tank 24x24x20 (with 3 holes drilled inside the overflow box)
- Heavy Duty Cabinet with dual opening doors 24x24x31
- Sump 19-3/4 x 16-1/2 x 13
- SCA-301 skimmer and Atmen PH2500 return pump are included ($150 values)
- Durso Stand Pipe, Return T pipe, bulkheads, tubing, filter media are bio media are included
If choose SCA 50 Gallon Starfire Glass Aquariums Complete Package, you have the full set to install a fish habitat, not need to buy anything else.
The outstanding feature of this model is that it doesn’t take much your time and effort to maintain because the Starfire Glass provides the resistant and strong features.
The design of the 2 opening doors creates the algae resistance. Algae or bacteria can’t live in the SCA 50 Gallon Starfire Glass Aquariums Complete Package because you can get rid of water easily and fill it on regularly. What you have to do is to use a small brush to clean out everything quickly even at the corners, the nooks or crannies.
To keep your tank in the clean and fresh condition, let you effectively use the attached tools in the box such as a sump, return pipe, and drain pipe.
There are 3 feeding holes designed inside the overflow box which let you feed your fishes the nutrient foods and release the organic waste into the water at once.
The manufacturer offers their customers a 3-years exclusive warranty to make sure their high-quality product
- Reasonable price
- Easy setup
- Easy to clean
- Have a long warranty
- Doesn’t include the light fixture
- Don’t have the advantage of surface because of the square tank
- Plumbing is not optimal but it’s very easy to replace
- It’s pretty complicated for beginners pus there are no helpful directions. However, the customer service can help you.
- The requirement of this tank is to use salt water. However, if you want to use with fresh water, simply get rid of the skimmer and sump. Even thanks to this way, you can save a big amount of money.
5. Full Acrylic 360 Cylinder Aquarium Tank w/ Stainless Steel Trim 55 Gallons Aquarium Tall Base Version
- Vapotek 360 freshwater fish tank features a cylindrical design for easy display
- Available in 50 or 70 gallons to fit your environment
- Comes with a water filtration system, water pump, air pump, and bio balls to maintain water and fish health
This fish tank is made from the high strength acrylic. That means its durability is very high but you still can see the inside clearly. You can put it in a place where has both children and pets without causing danger.
The best part of Full Acrylic 360 Cylinder Aquarium Tank is its design and shape. 2 parts: the canopy in the top and the custom stand at the bottom help it stand out in anywhere. Besides, the beautiful brushed stainless steel finish enhances the look of viewers. The cylindrical design creates a perfect look from many angles. It’s ideal to put this tank in the center of the room. No matter what position you sit in that place, you can clearly see what happens inside.
This is a set. In the box, there are enough everything to set up a perfect fish tank including a filtration system, air pump, compact light fixture and bio ball. You don’t need to learn to buy any accessories which must suit this model.
The bio ball and the air pump have responsibility for keeping your fishes stable and healthy underwater. Meanwhile, the powerful filtration system makes a crystal clear water environment. There is available a compact light in the package and it fixes to the attached canopy. It contributes creating a prettier look by illuminating the internal decor and your fishes. Your feeding task also becomes easier thanks to the design of the built-in feeding tube in place of you have to open the canopy.
- High durability so it’s safe for users
- Has full of essential accessories
- Easy to feed fishes
- Can see the inside from any angles
- Not cheap
- Due to a new product, it hasn’t been experienced by a lot of users. However, any people who used highly recommend this model.
6. 50 Gallon Starfire Aquariums with Center Overflow
- Starfire rimless Tank 24x24x20" 10mm 2/5" thickness
- Pre-Drilled Drain and return holes inside the overflow box
- 1" Drain Bulkhead and 1/2" return bulkhead are incldued.
- Return T Pipe (dual return) and Loc Lines, Durso Stand Pipe are included.
The material of this tank is Starfire glass so it offers viewers a crystal clear look. If you decorate this tank with plants and gravel, you will have a sophisticated environment both outside and inside.
The 24x24x20” 10mm makes a square-shaped tank which can habitat a few types of rare fishes like Juvenile Emperor AngelFish. This fish type follows the shape and size of a school.
The functionality of the tank is maximized thanks to the attached accessories such as Loc Lines and Durso Stand Pipe as well as 1” Bulkhead for draining and 1/2” Bulkhead for returning. Therefore, you don’t have to spend too much time and effort for cleaning and maintaining the model.
Despite the rimless tank, compared to the usual glass tanks, this glass aquarium is tougher especially the resistant ability to the impact is higher. Therefore, it’s not easy to be cracking.
- Come with an own cabinet so it’s easily and quickly for you to change water frequently with less effort and time.
- Ease of clean
- Amazing customer service
- Need to purchase a specific light fixture which fits the fishes and plants inside.
- Though there are almost enough accessories in the box, you need to invest in an additional filter if your fishes excrete extra organic waste.
7. Acrylic Rectangle Aquarium 60 Gallon Blue
No products found.
This traditional rectangle design suits lovers of the classic style. The spacious room offers viewers a wide look as well as a lot of habitat for your fishes.
Compared to the glass aquariums, the acrylic material of this model is very durable with 50% lighter, 17% stronger, and 40% brighter, creating a certain safeness. For example, thanks to the greater luminosity of the acrylic material, the vivid colors of your fishes, plants as well as other marine are enhanced.
This product gives you many choices to make a perfect water environment for your fishes. It allows you to use freshwater or saltwater even create a reef environment
- Reasonable price
- Add the extra durability by the edges made from chemical bond weld which are smoothly rounded.
This design allows users to add a firm stand in canopy
- It isn’t included CFL lights and water pump so you have to buy separately all
- Because of a new tank on the market, there are not many reviews from customers. However, a few of them are good.
All products I mentioned above are the best 55 gallon fish tanks. However, if there is only I choose. Full Acrylic 360 Cylinder Aquarium Tank w/ Stainless Steel Trim 55 Gallon Aquarium Tall Base Version is an ideal option. It is very durable and safe for children and pets. However, the inside is still clearly even thanks to the special design viewers can see fishes and plants from many angles. This comes with a set that means there is no need to buy anything else for setup.