10 Best Betta Fish Tanks 2022 – Reviews & Top Picks
10 Best Betta Fish Tanks 2022 – Reviews & Top Picks. In recent years, it has been increasingly common to see betta fish in both aquariums and private homes. The colorful beauty of betta fish is undeniably attractive and unique.
However, this beauty comes along with many issues, especially when you cannot use a normal tank for betta fish.
What are the Best Tanks for Betta Fish?
Considering all factors, the choice of the best tanks for your betta fish is far from simple.
Fortunately, you are not alone in this issue. Many people have experienced with this fish and reported theirs so that you can get some useful advice.
Below are top 10 best betta fish tank reviews that you can rely on for reference.
10 Best Betta Fish Tanks
1. EcoQube Aquarium – 2 Gallon Betta Fish Tank
- LOW MAINTENANCE, SUSTAINABLE ECOSYSTEM 🐟 Plant filters the water so you won't have to
- EASY TO SET UP COMPLETE FISH TANK KIT 🐟 Includes origin sand, ornament, cover, remote control
- IMPROVES WELL BEING 🐟 A Touch of Nature Livens any Space and Brings Joy and Good Health
- WITH ECOSYSTEMS PROJECT CURRICULUM 🐟 Free Science Project Kit is perfect for school projects
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED 🐟 1 YEAR WARRANTY w/ Replacement Parts & Great Customer Service
This product has a small size, just around 2 gallons; however, it gains the interests of many customers because it allows them to place it easily on their table or office desk.
It is such a good way to keep your eyes distracted from the computer screen. You can get a lot of entertainment from this one. The tank and the fish now become the decoration for your working space.
You can find a full aquarium starter kit along with the package. They provide you with aquaponics filter and some stuff for decoration, such as mountain stone or sand. Basil seeds and LED light are available too.
With these items, you are capable of providing your fish with a great living condition.
Regarding the filter, you will find it very convenient and save a lot of effort for maintenance. With this filter, it is unnecessary to worry about the fish waste or water quality.
However, you will need to buy it a long time before you can use. The instructions say that it takes about three weeks for basil seeds to grow and do their tasks – filtering the water.
Another flip side is LED lights that have been complained a lot. Their quality cannot be considered as the best.
- The starter kit is complete and easy to use
- The aquaponics filter has a lot of advantages, especially regarding cleaning
- Low maintenance
- Small and suitable for tables or desks
- You might wait up to 3 weeks
- Not very great LED lights
- The price is quite high
2. Back to the Roots Water Garden – 3 Gallon Fish Tank For Betta
- Bring the garden inside with the Back to the Roots Water Garden. This mini aquaponic tank is a closed-loop ecosystem — the betta fish waste fertilizes the plants on top, and the plants filter and clean the water for your fish — not your average betta fish bowl!
- Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture, or fish farming, and hydroponics, or growing plants in nutrient-rich water. The fish excrete ammonia that would become toxic to the fish in a regular fish bowl. In the Water Garden, the ammonia-rich waste is pumped up to the grow bed and absorbed by the plants, helping them grow twice as fast as in traditional farming! The clean water is then filtered back to the tank, creating a low-maintenance, self-cleaning cycle to foster a healthy fish and herb garden.
- The Water Garden aquaponic kit comes with everything you need to get started including: 3-gallon fish tank, organic wheatgrass and radish sprout seeds, a coupon for your betta fish, fish food, natural fertilizer, a silent, submersible water pump, gravel, and growstones.
Although this tank’s size is a bit larger than that of the previous, it is still regarded as a mini tank. It can contain about 3 gallons.
Manufacturers designed this tank to make fish waste absorbed directly by the plants. In other words, the plants work as the cleaner and filter so that the water quality is always guaranteed.
As a result, you do not need to waste too much time on cleaning or maintenance.
Likewise, you can also find a starter kit which contains many useful items, such as fish food, organic seeds, stones, water pump or natural fertilizer.
In some cases, customers might get a discount when buying betta fish as well.
As the plants grow by absorbing fish waste, you do not need to take care of them, but still, have some herbs on the water. It seems like a little ecology inside your tank.
Nevertheless, this tank also receives some negative comments because it is quite difficult to equip the heater in the tank.
Without a heater, betta fish will struggle with cold temperature, especially in winter.
- Aquaponics system that automatically cleans fish waste
- Full starter kit
- The plants can grow themselves by fish waste
- Poorly designed
- Difficulty installing a heater
- Too small for some people
3. Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit, 5 Gallon Betta Fish Tank
- 5 gallon Nano aquarium
- Etched glass tank with aluminum trim
- Powerful 37 LED lighting system, 7000 K color temperature, 821 lumens
- Includes foam block, activated carbon and BioMax bio rings
- Pump output - 55-80 US Gal/h (210-300 L/h)
Fish keeping is a very common and healthy hobby because it might be beneficial for not only you but also your children.
Showing your children a small picture of the ocean is a great way to teach them about nature. And Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit is an ideal fish to do so, especially when you are interested in betta fish.
Many people prefer very big tanks, about 55 gallons. However, the fact is that most of us do not turn the whole room into the tank for fish. Therefore, such products as Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit are great choices.
From the box, the tank seems very light and small, which makes it easier for carrying. Though, the capacity of this tank is up to 5 gallons.
Some people might think that this capacity is still limited. However, they need to look at the tank in real life first. 5-gallon tank can be considered as a large swimming pool for betta fish.
Inside, you can find a variety of items that make your tank more wonderful. They are filter bags, LED lights, the lid, pump, outlet nozzle, and tube.
The number of LED lights provided might go up to 37. It is such an impressive number that you can make use of all to decorate your tank. They are carefully designed, so you can rely on their safety.
Another outstanding feature of this tank is its filtration system. It works perfectly to guarantee that the water is always clean and pure.
There are three basic steps in this filtration system: chemical, physical and biological.
Manufacturers designed a specific area for filtration system in the back. Thus, you can easily install or fix it when there is something wrong.
- Big size for betta fish to swim freely
- Many LED lights included
- Well designed filtration system
- Quite expensive
- LED light malfunctions
4. Marineland ML90609 Portrait Aquarium Kit, 5-Gallon
- SLEEK DESIGN: Rounded corners and clear glass canopy allow viewing from multiple angles.
- DAYLIGHT/MOONLIGHT LIGHTING: Bright white LEDs create a shimmering sunlight effect; blue LEDs produce a moonlit glow.
- EASY ACCESS: Hinged LED lighting and sliding glass canopy.
- SIZE: 5-gallon aquarium fits Marineland Rite-Size Z Filter Cartridges.
- HIDDEN FILTRATION: Advanced, 3-stage filtration is out of sight, enhancing aquarium viewing.
This Marineland aquarium can fit either the office or private home, with its outstanding features.
I was impressed by its great and insightful design. The portrait orientation allows the tank to look more compact and suitable for small areas. However, the capacity is still large, around 5 gallons.
With this capacity, you can expect that there would be no attack among betta fish. It is also possible to keep some other fish as long as you do research to make sure that they do not have conflicts with betta fish.
This tank’s glass is of great quality as it is very sturdy and thick. But it does not prevent you from looking everything from the outside.
One of many people’s concerns is about LED lighting system. You can freely set the lights in the white or blue mode. This helps to reduce the sunlight refraction. Your betta fish, if they could speak, would thank you for that.
Besides, the blue light is very suitable for those who want to enjoy serene nighttime at home.
Regarding the filtration system, it is still a controversial issue. Found in the back, the filtration system is not visible to viewers. As a result, you can focus on the beautiful tank.
A lot of difficulties will arise when you need to clean it. It is required to move everything, and it is worth remembering that this tank is not very light.
- More compact
- Large size
- LED lights that limit sunlight refraction
- Sturdy glass
- Trouble with maintenance
- Some people find LED lights annoying because of their brightness
5. Fluval Spec III Aquarium Kit
- 2.6-gallon etched glass aquarium with aluminum trim
- High-output 7000K LED with all-aluminum, waterproof casing for enhanced plant growth and fish colors
- Powerful 3-stage filtration for superior water quality and stylish honeycomb wrap to conceal rear filtration compartment
- Includes glass aquarium with cover; LED lighting system; safe, low-voltage transformer; circulation pump with output nozzle; foam filter block with handle; activated carbon insert; and BioMax insert
- Dimensions: 10.8 x 11.8 x 8.7 inches
This is another small tank that does not consume a lot of space. Therefore, it is a suitable choice for those who want to look at their fish right on desktops.
Its volume is only about 2.6 gallons, and its weight is 10 pounds, so it is not too heavy to carry.
Despite its simplicity and small size, you will receive a full starter kit, like any other bigger product in this list.
Notably, you will get a lighting system with about 31 LED lamps. They will be a great addition to the decoration of your tank.
Nevertheless, the reviews on this lighting system are mixed. Some customers claimed that it works very weakly and tends to last no more than half a year.
The tank is equipped with two powerful systems: filtration and circulation pump. You can control the output nozzle. Thus, no fish waste or dirt will concentrate and damage your betta fish.
Its small size is convenient for many people, but at the same time, it also poses problems. Some customers think that it is too small and uncomfortable for their betta fish.
This tank is not suitable for many decorations either.
- Simple design
- Full starter kit
- Reasonable price
- Very light
- Too small
- There are many reported problems with lighting system
6. Tetra Crescent Acrylic Aquarium Kit
- Aquarium KIT Curved-front crescent-shaped aquarium kit is perfect for one goldfish or up to three community tropical fish
- INCLUDES FILTER Includes Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filter to keep your tank clean and provide a healthy environment for pet fish
- HIDDEN LIGHTS Bright-white energy-efficient LED lights are hidden inside the low-profile black cover
- SEAMLESS TANK Offers unobstructed viewing of your underwater environment
- 5 GALLON TANK Small size that’s perfect for a bedroom living room or dorm room (15 inches x 9 inches x 11 inches)
To meet the demand of more and more customers, manufacturers of Tetra Crescent Acrylic Aquarium Kit provide two different sizes. You now can select either 3 or 5 gallons.
Although its design looks quite simple, it is suitable for the modern age. It is possible to equip a heater in the tank, which some other products miss.
Unlike other tanks, there is no natural system cycle, such as aquaponics, in this tank. Therefore, its cleaning is dependent on filter and pump.
The mechanical filter will bring water through its cartridge and then, waste and dirt will be eliminated. As a result, it is not necessary for you to do cleaning manually and regularly.
Also, the name of this name also reflects one of the best and unique features. Ultra-activated carbon is used in this kit so as to prevent any discoloration or smells of the tank’s water.
You can find a very detailed and useful guide along with the product. It will tell you exactly what to do with this tank.
On the other hand, negative reviews are noticed about the filter quality. Many people reported that the filter does not work very well in the long term.
- Various sizes and more choices for customers
- Modern, updated design
- Its special kit
- Mechanical pump that does not require manual cleaning
- Filter is not durable and high-quality
7. Tetra 1.8 Gallon Waterfall Globe Aquarium Kit
- DESKTOP AQUARIUM KIT: 1.8 gallon tank is ideal for betta or goldfish, or small tropical fish like guppies and tetras (with the addition of the Tetra HT10 heater).
- A NEW TAKE ON THE CLASSIC “FISHBOWL”: All-in-one tank is a great option for first-time fishkeepers.
- BUILT-IN FILTER: Cartridge-based filtration system.
- UNIQUE WATERFALL FEATURE: Filtration system doubles as a beautiful waterfall feature for your tank while it circulates and cleans water.
- INCLUDES LIGHTING: With the flip of a switch, low voltage LED lights illuminate your pets!
The design of this Tetra’s model is quite different from others. It is round and resembles a globe. Also, it is particularly small and contains only 1.8 gallons.
Therefore, it is another wise choice for people who want to place their betta fish at office desks.
Its small size might be the reason why there is no pump in the package. In fact, you probably do not need it.
Instead, you can expect a wonderful waterfall equipped inside the tank. Once you start using it, the waterfall is responsible for cycling the water. This makes sure that there is always enough oxygen for betta fish all the time.
Besides, waterfall also contributes to the control of water quality.
An advantage of this tank’s filtration is that it does not cause loud noise so that you can feel comfortable with the tank anywhere.
Regarding the LED light, you can easily switch on or off with a simple button.
At the same time, this tank is criticized for some reasons. It is undeniable that built-in filtration system has some advantages. However, it is also very challenging when you need to replace it.
You might have to separate everything and restart installing once you finish fixing the filtration system.
- Small and convenient
- Waterfall that can both create oxygen and clean the living condition
- Filtration system inside the tank
- Difficult for replacement or maintenance
- Too small
8. biOrb CLASSIC Aquarium with LED Light
- Constructed Out of Acrylic- 10 times stronger than glass, 50% lighter and 93% clearer
- True 5 Stage Filtration - Biological, Mechanical, Chemical, Water Stabilization and Oxygenation
- Low Voltage - All biOrb aquariums operate from a 12V Transformer
- LED Lighting - Equipped with a long lasting, low voltage Standard LED Light
- Filter Cartridge - A true “one size fits all” filter for the biOrb aquariums
There are over 1 million BiOrb Classic aquariums purchased on the global scale. Despite its simplicity, its design is suitable for keeping betta fish. Therefore, we rate it in the list of the best betta fish tank reviews.
The material used to make this tank is clear acrylic, which is more durable and resistant to shock. It is also lighter, but stronger than glass aquariums.
Its design is extremely useful when it comes to maintenance or setup.
An outstanding feature of this product is that you can choose from many sizes. The number of sizes is much larger, between 4 and 28 gallons. If you want to use it on the desk, the recommendation for you is 4 gallons.
Its setup kit provides you almost everything that is necessary for making your betta fish comfortable.
There is a box filter inside this tank’s filtration system. It allows you to control water clarity and quality strictly.
The LED lighting system is equipped alongside the product’s air pump. All of these lights require no more than one power outlet.
- Multiple sizes
- Set up and maintenance are a piece of cake
- Modern box filter inside the tank
- Quite small LED lights
- Quite expensive
9. API Aquaview 360 Aquarium Kit
- FUN and REWARDING: Are you looking to buy an aquarium for your family, owning an aquarium can be a really fun and rewarding experience and an ideal way to teach your child the responsibility of pet ownership
- DAZZLING COLORS: Energy-efficient LED lighting with 7 dazzling color selections to brightly illuminate your fish, choose daylight white, blue, green, amber, aqua, purple, or red
- COMPLETE FILTRATION: Powerful internal power filter cleans and purifies aquarium water at a flow rate of 45 gallons per hour effectively removing organic pollutants, uses Koller Products S replacement filter cartridges (AQ10FC-60), available on Amazon
- OPTIMUM VIEWING: Crystal-clear clarity so good that most think it's glass, constructed of impact-resistant plastic providing leak-proof assurance
- BUILT-IN LIGHT TIMER: Set your LED light to come on at the same time every day; light uses 3 AAA batteries (sold separately) or 5V Power Adapter (AQ51000) available on Amazon
Simple as it looks, this is one of the prettiest tanks I have ever seen on the market. Manufacturers offer three different sizes; therefore, we have plenty of choices to meet our specific needs.
You can choose from 2, 3 or 6 gallons, according to your need.
The shape of this tank is cylindrical, and you can enjoy its 360-degree view. It makes it easier to watch the tank from any place in your room. And you can place the tank right at the center of the room as well.
The starter kit you will get in the package provides filter and lighting system. With LED lightings, you will see seven colors, which support your creativity of decorating the tank.
These items make its cylindrical shape more enjoyable and outstanding.
Moreover, Superclean 10 is the name for this tank’s internal filter system. It can clean the water very efficiently, about 45 gallons per hour.
It is also one of the most modern systems with the support of filter cartridge. This facilitates the elimination of organic pollutants, such as toxic gas or odors.
From my perspective, it is the best betta fish tank you can afford at a reasonable price. Nonetheless, there are negative comments on LED lightings as well. They usually said that the lighting system is not durable.
In some circumstances, the lights might even contact with the water and become broken. Or they may lead to threats to your betta fish.
Besides, the materials used to make this tank are not of high quality. Many people reported scratches on the tank.
- Various sizes
- Various colorful LED lights
- Modern filter system
- Cheap materials
- Non-durable LED lights
10. Aqueon Kit Betta Falls
- Waterfall provides a constant flow of filtered water
- Three separate compartments house up to three betta, small fish, or crustaceans
- Frosted panels prevent fish from seeing one another
- Fill indicator window shows internal water level at a glance
- Uses Aqueon QuietFlow Filtration; cartridge, food, and water care samples are inside
Last but not least, for those who are looking for the best betta fish tank, Aqueon Kit Betta Falls might be perfect.
When using the Aqueon Betta Falls, you will find it very simple thanks to clear instructions. They must be written by those who had experience with keeping fish.
Besides, their website serves as an excellent source of instructions and even videos to show you how everything is done. The manufacturer cares about customers.
Also, the installation of the filter cartridge is very easy, and it is also convenient in case you want maintenance as well.
Although there is noise from the power heads, this product’s filter is considered as quiet. Therefore, you can freely place it right in your bedroom without worrying that it will disturb your sleep.
However, a heater is not included in the package. You should purchase one from Aqueon as your betta fish need warm temperature for growth.
Its heater works quite well. In case your room temperature is already high, please make sure that you adjust the heater suitable. You do not want your betta fish to suffer from the too hot condition.
Besides, you had better check the water quality often. There are some waterfalls that might go unnoticed, and throughout time, you ignore cleaning it, which leads to many problems.
Normally, after 2-3 days, you should refill the water, but only a moderate amount. It is also dependent on your home’s humidity.
- Clear instructions with videos on the website
- Great filter system
- Simple maintenance
- No heater included
- Water has to be regularly controlled
What You Need to Know How to Keep A Healthy Betta Fish in Aquariums or Tanks?
Anyone with experience of raising better fish needs to know that they do not like living in a shared environment.
The fact is that betta fish is far from friendly. They are very likely to attack other fish with the smaller size. Meanwhile, other larger fish can attack betta fish due to their beautiful fins.
This poses a serious threat because most of us are fascinated by their flowing fins.
As a result, betta fish should live alone. Another problem is that betta fish are not friendly to each other either.
In reality, some people might manage to keep a group of betta fish in the same tank. However, the majority will encounter the rising aggression and war among all of them.
Thus, it is ideal to have betta fish live alone in a specific area, whether you raise them in aquariums or homes. The male and female should have contact only in the mating case.
Betta fish use their labyrinth organ for breathing air, so it is unnecessary to have very big space for them to live.
You will waste a lot of space if you intend to keep them in over-19-liter area. On the other hand, something with the size of fewer than 11 liters seems to be challenging to handle.
It is necessary that your heater comes with a thermostat. This allows you to keep the temperature from 24 to 27 degrees Celsius. Because betta fish are tropical, they will require a heater, regardless of weather conditions.
In winter, another mini heater should be equipped, or your tank should be placed near a radiator. This aims to provide more heat and protect your fish from being too cold.
Besides, hard plastic plants should be avoided at any cost. They are possible threats to betta fish’s fins. Instead, you can go for silk plants which may turn into favorite places for betta fish to sleep.
In case you want your betta fish to stay in an aquarium with the small size, water needs to be changed on a weekly basis. Additionally, you also have to control the quality of water very carefully.
Filters are required; however, you ought to control the current. Sponge filters are the most recommended choice because they can keep your fish’s fins safe.
On the contrary, if you decide to have an own fish tank for them, it is a better idea. But only when you make a great effort to select the best betta fish tank can you feel truly relieved.
How to Choose The Right Betta Fish Tank?
Can you imagine how difficult it is to raise betta fish properly?
With their specific needs, we cannot be careless when it comes to the selection of fish tank.
In fact, a lot of factors needs to be addressed so that your betta fish have a perfect living condition.
Besides, as betta fish become more and more popular in this day and age, many manufacturers have participated in this industry.
As a result, many problems have come to the market and customers are now confused.
Following are crucial factors that you need to cover in your preparation.
In most pet stores, people often trade betta fish in cups. Though, this is not a proper way to keep them for a long period of time.
Betta fish always demand sufficient space so that they can swim freely.
Aquarium seems to be the most suitable for them to live, but the likelihood is that smaller tanks can meet their need too.
Overall, betta fish prefer large tanks that permit them to exercise regularly. It will have positive impacts on their health.
Besides, another advantage of larger tanks lies in their water quality.
The suggestion for those who want to get an own tank at home is over 2 gallons.
The shape is another important element that you need to think about carefully before the purchase. However, it is not as essential as the size for betta fish.
A variety of shapes can be found on the market right now, and they tend to satisfy our need, rather than betta fishes. Therefore, you can choose round or bow front tanks, depending on your favorite type.
Betta fish originate from Southeast Asia. As a result, they are more for warmer temperature.
With too low temperature, betta fish are more likely to experience diseases, especially related to their immunity.
On the other hand, the too high temperature will affect their metabolism negatively and lead to their death in some cases.
So as to keep the suitable temperature, you are going to need heater and thermometer. These equipment will guarantee the consistency of temperature for the whole period.
Let alone betta fish; you should never raise all types of fish in chlorinated water. The common recommendation for any beginner is to fill the tank with bottled water only.
Besides, a water conditioner can be equipped with the tap water.
Another essential element is the pH level. You should bear in mind that the normal level for betta fish is from 6.5 to 7.5.
As mentioned above, you are required to change the water regularly and when you do so, make sure that everything happens gradually. You should give betta fish enough time to adapt to changes.
Betta fish can use oxygen directly from both the water and the air. Thus, it is better if you leave a little space between the lid and the water.
This will allow betta fish to breathe quickly on the surface of water sometimes, especially when the amount of oxygen from water is low.
A lid is a quite useful item because betta fish can jump from the water. You do not want to see them on the floor, instead of inside the water.
How to Set Up a Betta Fish Tank?
In fact, there is no uniform way to set up a betta fish tank. You have to choose the right method that goes with the type of your fish tank.
In most cases, you will get a very clear instruction guide along with the product, as I have mentioned in the review of Aqueon Kit Betta Falls.
It is not a difficult task because most tanks introduced in this list come with moderate sizes.
In the beginning, it is necessary for the tank to be assembled. Then, you start thinking about how to put gravel and decorations, such as LED lights or seeds.
This stage might take you a little or huge amount of time, depending on your idea. Some people just need 10 minutes, while others might consume up to hours.
After that, you will continue with electronic accessories, such as lighting system and filter.
Most tanks do not include a heater, so you also need to think about installing it. Nevertheless, remember that it is not an essential item in every case. You have to check the weather first.
The betta fish will be grateful if you are willing to spend time on researching the best environment for them.
Check more instructions with the video:
With a tank and some betta fish, your space will not only look more beautiful but also help you relax after tiring hours. It is such a great addition to your home or office.
We hope that top 10 best betta fish tank reviews provide helpful information and experience to help you get the most suitable choice.
Have you ever experienced any fish tank? Please share with us your opinion and share this article to those who need to find out more about betta fish and their living condition.